Jay and I have discussed our perception of how important a picture is to lead into and break up a blog post. It keeps readers eyes from straining while looking at a wall of text, and also gives blog-rolls that link via Blogger a picture to post within the blog-roll. Unfortunately, this is the best I could come up with today, after looking at a number of images and what not on Google Images for a while, trying to find a good image to use as a lead in for this post. Mmmm, mini-fail.
Welcome to the update post. I have realized that I am sitting half way into the month of October and I have slipped a bit behind on my hobby overall. Well, lets be honest, not too much behind just a bit further behind than I had planned. I am having trouble reconciling my hobby activities vs my hobby queue sitting and staring at me downstairs. So whats been going on you ask? Here is what I am looking at.
Lets look at accomplished first, because thats supposed to make one feel better about themselves! So, in the past 6 weeks I have:
- Run a Malifaux Tournament
- Created 2 fully built and painted Malifaux tables of "fixed" terrain (3'x3')
- Created 4 flocked "no-fixed-terrain" tables (3'x3')
- Taken part in the founding team of a new Gaming Club
- Become a Wyrd Henchman (basically the same as a GW Commando or a Privateer Press Pressganger)
- Painted up 3 new models for Malifaux (Scales, Francisco, Nino)
- "Finished" the base for my Titan
- 75% painted my Forgeworld Phoenix (Eldar Flyer)
- Built and Primed my Titan
- Base coated 2 Eldar Night Spinner tanks
- Built and painted 3 objectives for Malifaux
- Played ~14 Malifaux games
- Played 2 40K games
- Recorded 3 podcasts
- Malifaux painting tray - Santiago, Perdita, Papa Loco, Sam Hopkins, Essence of Power
- 40K Painting tray - Titan, complete my Phoenix, Weapons for my Falcons, 2x Night Spinner Tanks,
- Malifaux to do - Lilith's Brood box (5 models), ~6 guild guards, Kirai Crew (~28 models)
- 40K to do - 10x Harliquins, Phoenix Base, 10x Storm Guardians, 9x Dire Avengers, 4x Winged Seer Council, 5x Fire Dragons, Fire Dragon Exarch, 5x Scorpions, Scorpion Exarch
According to a couple of my regular opponents, these guys look much better in person. I was not really a fan of the Scales in the pictures, but I like him now that I have one painted up. I actually painted him up based on the recommendation of one of the Podcast listeners and DTP reader, Lord Shaper. I recently started following his blog, its good reading for those who are interested and I recommend him. I need to add that to a separate post!
Adding into the shameless plugs and self promotion, some of my feelings are probably coming from a state of burnout I have been in lately. Its something we discussed on one of the recent Gamers Lounge episodes. I have really gotten into Malifaux lately, but have been completely burnt out on GW games. While I have enjoyed my last 2 40k games, they just have not been scratching that gaming itch like Malifaux has. I assume this is adding into my overall malaise on painting models. I did get motivated a bit the other night and went back to touch up my Phoenix. I know, there are no pictures posted yet, but it has gotten better. I went back over several sections with my airbrush to even out the paint coverage and then touched up the whites. I will need to finish up the white (I am now considering going more ivory/bone) and then reapply the transfers.
Toward that end, the local store (Huzzah Hobbies) is running a Tanksgiving event that will directly compete with the GW event usually run the same weekend. This will be interesting, as GW games have not really taken off at Huzzah. On the other hand, most of the regulars at Huzzah have lost interest in going to the local GW and have shifted their support. I an intrigued to see how many people show up for the Huzzah Tank event. The owner is running a full weekend of Tank events, with a Flames of War Tanksgiving event earlier int he weekend, then the GW event on Sunday. I have committed to showing up with my Titan and my Phoenix, hopefully with both fairly close to complete. This gives me about 6 weeks to get them done.
Ok, so after airing my thoughts and ramblings, I need to look forward and get on track. Running events recently has begun to get me re-energized for painting and modeling. I am also feeling the push to "complete" my eldar army and move to the next phase in the hobby for me. I am not sure what that will be, as I have a couple options:
- I still have lots of Malifaux in my possesion and coming up
- I have a LARGE box of High Elves for WHFB (well over 6K points with no equipment) and an idea for a theme
- Dark Eldar are being released, and I love the new models
Here are some of my recent thoughts for next steps. I have an idea for a theme for my High Elves, but am having some difficulty wrapping my mind around how I will execute the theme. I also need to settle on a decent color scheme for the army that will fit in the overall theme. On the one hand, these two hurdles are making me hesitate when it comes to considering starting this project. On the other hand, the box of models in my closet keeps yelling at me to get started and knock it out.
I guess only time will tell, as I am becoming increasingly fickle as I age.