Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Headquarters Galore - Forgeworld Avatar

I have to admit at the start of this post that I was intimidated by this model. I had gone around for a while with ideas of what I wanted it to look like, and finally settled on the "Scene" to the left. I think the Forgeworld Avatar is an incredible model and love it, although when it came to painting in gems and details, I went through a phase of hating the model.

At the end of the day I think it came out looking very good. Its certainly not at a Golden Daemon level, but for me I think the result is very good. I assembled and painted this in stages in order to put together two tutorials for the model, which will be posted over the next week or so. The first tutorial is on assembly, the second is on painting.

I think the only part of the final model that is not-quite where I want it is the Tau Crisis Suit. The problem is, I am not sure how to make it look better. In addition, I made a decision to not prime and paint the sand so that the base fits with the rest of the models in my collection.

So lets take a closer look. Here we have the Avatar in full color:





So there he is, my Avatar killing a Tau.

I also completed one of the four warlocks I have had on the tray. The model actually looks better to the "naked eye" than it does in this picture (which looks a little washed out to me). I need to look at some camera settings and also a bit closer at the model to figure out whats going on. After taking the picture I noticed I need to touch-up the gray highlight on the black armor.





Stay tuned fearless readers, my next couple posts will be the tutorials for the Avatar. Following that I am back to picking my next squad to paint, likely to be another set of Scorpions. I am nearing the "end" or "plateau" of the Dead Tau Project and only have a few squads from my originally planned list left to complete. I have ordered a couple kits for the new Prism/Night Spinner which will be added to the list. This means its an exciting time for the project, and for the blog.
blog comments powered by Disqus